Monday, February 20, 2012

Lemon Marscapone Berry Cake


This cake is SO easy!

I bought the vanilla bean cake mix from Trader Joes.  It's not that I am opposed to making a cake from scratch, and I often do, but this cake mix does not taste like it is from a box, and it served my purposes.  I baked it in 10 inch round pans... about 10 oz of mix in each pan for about 17 minutes.

The fillings are as follows:

Marscapone Whipped Cream
Whip together the following ingredients until the texture has changed to a firm whipped cream:
1 container marscapone
1 cup cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 vanilla bean scrapings

Lemon Posset
Bring to a simmer:
1 cup cream
1/3 cup sugar
Allow to come to room temperature.
Mix in:
1/4 cup lemon juice (I prefer meyer when I can get it)
Allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least two hours.

Place one layer of cake on the serving plate.
Put all of marscapone cream on the cake; even it out and then put the next layer of cake on top.  spread 2/3 of the lemon posset on the cake, add the next layer of cake.  Cover the cake with the last of the possett and with thinly sliced strawberries and another berry of choice.  For this cake I used blackberries for the color contrast and because they are in season.

Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds so good! I bet it tastes like summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does taste like summer... like creamy, rich, bright summer.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!