Saturday, November 19, 2011

Jalapeño Bourbon Cranberry Sauce



I was inspired by Bobby Flay on Iron Chef a few years ago and this cranberry sauce has become an addition to our yearly Thanksgiving feast.  It may sound odd.  It may be a bit scary.  I encourage you to try it.

Cranberry Bourbon Vanilla Jalapeño Sauce

1 bag cranberries (I like to add a few extras, like a third of a bag or so)
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup bourbon
1 roasted/seeded/de-veined red jalapeño, finely chopped (these are sometimes called fresno chilies)
         *I usually taste test my chile to make sure it isn't too hot, but the sugar in the sauce tends to counteract    
           the heat
1 vanilla bean
1 cup sugar



Put all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 5-10  minutes or until cranberries have broken down.  (I like to add the vanilla bean cut in half and then open it and scrape it after the sauce has simmered.  I then add the scrapings back to the sauce while it is still hot)

Hope you have a chance to make it... and by the way, it isn't very hot, you can hardly even tell there is jalapeño in the sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve made this exact recipe several years in a row. A family favorite. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!