Thursday, November 17, 2011

Twisted Lebanese Chicken

As kids, we had a dish called Lebanese Chicken that my mom had learned from a Lebanese friend.  It had great promise but often not a great outcome.  The chicken was overcooked, the potatoes under-cooked, and sometimes it was just a bit bland.  Now don't get me wrong, my parents were A-MAZing cooks, but combining pre-boiled shredded chicken with raw potatoes and baking is a recipe for disaster.

Tonight, I had some CRAZY ideas running through my head for dinner... when scrounging through the cupboards, this can happen.  But my brother and I came up with a plan, and that plan came out well.  I love fixing and twisting childhood dishes.  Don't you?




First, sear your chicken-- legs, thighs, breasts, whatever--in a hot cast iron skillet.


Remove chicken from pan and add:
2 TBS oil
1/2 finely chopped onion
4-5 cubed potatoes
and gently stir.

Then sprinkle with: 
4-8 cloves of garlic finely diced
salt
1 tsp zatar (saving a bit)
1 tsp sumac (saving a bit)




Arrange your chicken on top, sprinkle with remaining spices, and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.


Sprinkle with the juice of one lemon, garnish with cilantro (if desired) and serve with spinach and yogurt, or anything else your little culinary heart desires.

Twisted Lebanese chicken, spinach and plain yogurt




3 comments:

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!