Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pizza Breakfast Casserole

The proverbial question: how do you eat your leftover pizza?

For lunch?

For breakfast?

Cold?

Warm?

There are probably many many answers out there.  This weekend, I tried out something new.  At least new for me.

In a conversation with a friend a few weeks back about what to do with leftover pizza and breakfast, we came up with a brilliant idea. (Which I am SURE has been done before, but neither of us had ever seen it).  I was talking about how sometimes we chop up the pizza in the morning and put it in omelettes-- which is delicious by the way.  He was talking about how they make that classic breakfast casserole by soaking bread and toppings in egg overnight and baking it in the morning.  My brain thought:

breakfast casserole has bread...
pizza has bread...
breakfast casserole needs cheese and other fillings...
pizza has cheese and other toppings...
Hmmmmmmmmmm... ... ... ...

The result?


When my Dad made this Chicago style pizza Friday night:
And there were, needless to say, leftovers, I created this strata late at night and baked it in the morning:
DE-LIC-IOUS!

Now, first and foremost for all you purists out there, any pizza would work except for thin crust.  Second, I know Chicago style pizza usually doesn't have cheese on top, but he couldn't resist.  So stop complaining, and try this!  It rocks the house!

Chop up your leftover pizza (you will need about 1/3 a pizza or more) with all the bread and cheese and tomato and toppings.  Put into a gallon sized bag and add 3-5 whipped eggs and 1-2 cups of milk.  Allow to sit overnight.  In the morning, put into a casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes at 400, until the top has browned nicely and the egg and pizza has set.  Cut, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!