Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Honey Citrus Glazed Chicken

Ahh, summer, barbecued chicken.  Okay, I must admit, in our family we grill year round.  But I do love summer and the barbecue.  Tonight's dinner was CSA heavy.  I barbecued an organic, locally sourced, pasture raised chicken from here.  I also sauteed kale from a local farm from whom I get a box of produce a few times a month.  Lastly, I used a blood orange from a farmer in San Diego that brings up beautiful citrus and avocados twice a month.

I feel so healthy and supportive of local agriculture!  Okay, I'll stop congratulating myself now.

Anyway, on to the food!


I brined, smoked and grilled the chicken.  At the end of it's time on the grill, I coated it with this glaze:

Juice of 2 limes 
Juice of 1/2 blood orange (regular orange would be a great substitute)
1 T olive oil
2T honey
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 head of finely minced garlic



The skin was perfectly crunchy and brown, the fat was rendered, and the glaze was sweet, spicy and salty.   Mmmm. Yummy.

I even cooked the back, and here is the thing, with a 69 cent per pound chicken I wouldn't.  no way.  not worth it.  nope.  But with a pasture raised chicken, the meat is more expensive, and the best little bits of meat that are on the back have been more developed.  Not only is it worth it, the back is also delicious when the chicken has been raised right.



And as a quick afterthought, the Swiss chard was lightly sauteed in caramelized onions and dressed with the other half of that blood orange. Great side!

2 comments:

  1. The food looks delicious! I will be trying out the recipe soon. Do you have the chicken delivered to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane! I have it delivered and then I distribute it to other people in a group I am a part of.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!