Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pulled Pork

I made pulled pork sandwiches today for over 100 people.  It was easy and delicious too!  I slow braised 56 pounds of meat overnight to make it happen, and almost didn't have enough room, but thanks to a nearby friend, it all worked out alright.  But you don't have to make it for  100+, it is an easy and great dinner, or two or three, any time of year.  Here is the recipe (use a crock-pot if it is too hot to turn on the oven, or the oven if it is too cold to not take advantage of the heat!).

1 Pork Shoulder Roast (also called pork butt) bone in or out is fine.
1 Onion, quartered and peeled
1 Apple halved
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon salt (I know it sounds like a lot, but it is a lot of meat)
3 cloves garlic peeled and smashed or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder




Put the onions in your covered baking dish or crock pot.  Place the pork roast on top.  Sprinkle the spices over the pork.  Put the garlic and apple on top or on the side, depending on how much room you have.  Do not add any liquid.

If you are using a crock pot, either set on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 5-7.

If you are using the oven, put the lid on your baking dish, set the oven at 200 and bake for 8-10 hours, or 275 and bake for 5-7 hours.

NOW LEAVE IT ALONE!  Do not open it, poke it, prod it, take it's temperature, just let it cook.  After the minimum cooking time listed above, check it; does it practically fall apart when you touch it?  Then it is done.  They key to this dish is patience, my dear friend.

Now we can get all crazy.  Take the pork out of it's pork juice bath, and munch it up with a spoon.  I divide mine into meals.  I mix one portion with my favorite barbecue sauce and we have pulled pork sandwiches.  I use the rest for tacos or burritos, enchiladas, pozole (with the drippings that I have removed the fat from as a base for the broth), as a topping for salad; the possibilities are almost endless.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; I really like reading them. Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd love it if you would subscribe too!